Mayans unfazed about the end of the world
FELIPE CARRILLO PUERTO, Mexico — Mayan pilgrims often come here to a simple church with a thatched roof to venerate the Cruz Parlante, or Speaking Cross, which gave their forefathers guidance during a 19th-century rebellion.
But priest Alfonso Ek says lately he’s being asked by curious non-Mayans about something he says has nothing to do with his people or their beliefs: the end of the world.
His response: “The world will not end.”
Thrill seekers, partyers and folks seeking spiritual experiences are pouring into the Yucatán Peninsula for the end of the centuries-long Mayan calendar that some believe predicted the end of the world Friday. The Mayan people here appear to be greeting the event serenely, with a sense of humor and bemusement. Via: usatoday.com
- Do you believe today is the end of the world? Mayan’s don’t, either! HAPPY NEW YEAR! (lupuschronicles.com)
- Mayan End of the World a Bust. New End Predicted by Ancient Technology! (bolognaornot.wordpress.com)
- Mayan Prophecy or Practical Joke (writingfictionblog.com)
- The Mayan Prediction: Don’t Panic. Be Prepared (allstate.com)
- Mayan Priests denied access to Guatemala ceremonial sites (boingboing.net)
- A Sun scream: NASA captures image of star ‘winking’ after passing of Mayan apocalypse (mirror.co.uk)
- Mayan apocalypse results in damaged pyramid caused by tourists (latino.foxnews.com)
- Mayan Temple Damaged by ‘End-of-World’ Parties (abcnews.go.com)