Difficult question and understandably so when the dictionary tries to describe it 27 times. So what the heck, let’s start there. Dictionary.com says we can love God, people, places, jobs, life, things, sex or simply keep score of a tennis match! Go ahead and skim the definition below for background and we’ll pick up the conversation after #27, but first enjoy this video, its been said love can make the world a wonderful place, and to be honest, that’s our goal at THE GOOD WORD. : )
love [luhv] Show IPA noun, verb, loved, lov·ing.
1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3. sexual passion or desire.
4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
5. (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
6. a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.
7. sexual intercourse; copulation.
8. (initial capital letter ) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
9. affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one’s neighbor.
10. strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books.
11. the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love.
12. the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
13. Chiefly Tennis. a score of zero; nothing.
14. a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L.
verb (used with object)
15. to have love or affection for: All her pupils love her.
16. to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person).
17. to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in: to love music.
18. to need or require; benefit greatly from: Plants love sunlight.
19. to embrace and kiss (someone), as a lover.
20. to have sexual intercourse with.
21. to have love or affection for another person; be in love.
22. love up, to hug and cuddle: She loves him up every chance she gets.
23. for love,
a. out of affection or liking; for pleasure. b. without compensation; gratuitously: He took care of the poor for love.
24. for the love of, in consideration of; for the sake of: For the love of mercy, stop that noise.
25. in love, infused with or feeling deep affection or passion: a youth always in love.
26. in love with, feeling deep affection or passion for (a person, idea, occupation, etc.); enamored of: in love with the girl next door; in love with one’s work.
27. make love,
a. to embrace and kiss as lovers. b. to engage in sexual activity.
So there you have it, 27 different attempts to bring meaning to the word love, confused yet? Are you feeling unfulfilled or stuck in a rut, are you doing what you love? The world needs more people to do what they love, and people need to tell each other how they feel more often. Pretty simple formula, yet oh so hard to implement, or is it… Paul Harrison thought there was something.
Paul Graham said, “To do something well you have to like it. That idea is not exactly novel. We’ve got it down to four words: “Do what you love.” But it’s not enough just to tell people that. Doing what you love is complicated.
The very idea is foreign to what most of us learn as kids. When I was a kid, it seemed as if work and fun were opposites by definition. Life had two states: some of the time adults were making you do things, and that was called work; the rest of the time you could do what you wanted, and that was called playing. Occasionally the things adults made you do were fun, just as, occasionally, playing wasn’t—for example, if you fell and hurt yourself. But except for these few anomalous cases, work was pretty much defined as not-fun.
And it did not seem to be an accident. School, it was implied, was tedious because it was preparation for grownup work.” Via Paul Graham
Elton John thought the feeling was a little bit funny and inspiring…
There Is The Love Of A Child
“started watching “Brothers & Sisters” at 11pm by 3am when I was still watching & feeling like I was actually a Walker I turned it off & attempted sleep. No luck so I rolled over & scooped up my sweet little girl in my arms & met her breathing with mine, just hearing life move in & out of her perfect little being. I put my cheek to hers & enjoyed the softness of her innocent skin. Like any mother would guess, tears rolled down my cheeks. I realized the power & joy in that simple beautiful moment, how utterly profound love can be. Woke up this morning to her saying “mommy you’re squeezing me too tight” & I hope that simple moment of love will be remembered by her one day. We all forget to live in the depth of the moment sometimes, I too put too much weight on worrying about the elf on the shelf moving or can I pull off another xmas as a single mom of 6…. but we need to enjoy the simplicity of a single moment, love more deeply, reach someones soul. Realizing now, more than ever- moments are big, powerful & profound. Lives are shaped by moments – take them, live them and hold on to them. Merry Christmas & Namaste” -Lisa Lavach
There Is Romantic Love
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/ofGcxcjEFRA” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen>
Sometimes it lasts and sometimes, not so muchyour love is like a rose
I love watching it blossom
each day another petal opens
revealing a sliver of your beautiful heart
day after glorious day we grow closer
soon very soon it will be in full bloom
our worlds will come together
our story’s will become a story written on the same page
two individual souls with one heart beat
two distinct beings capable of shining on their own
melded together as an example for all
no typical union
I will love and worship you all the days of my life and beyond
I will love you as I have never loved before
I give you my heart and ask nothing in return
I offer my support in times of need
I love and accept you as you are my true love
– Steve Schappert
Paul McCartney was apparently amazed at the way he could be pulled out of time.
Warren Brush Loves Not Having A Mortgage
Wylie Overstreet Loves Building Things & Karaoke
Just a thought but in my opinion if you love yourself, you will be happy and become much more attractive to others. Do what you love, work at it each day, life is short and full of surprises. So don’t put it off or worry about the timing, anything worth while takes hard work, and the best place to start is right where you are. Celebrate each day, if it was hard, celebrate even more because you passed the test, and tomorrow you get to try again. Be who you are and if you are as lucky as me someone will notice.
a time of reflection
looking forward, looking back
trying to make sense of it all
breathing deep to avoid an attack
the world is not a perfect place
no rhymes and no reasons
more than the seasons
our strength comes from within
time is endless yet our time here is short
all we have learned from those we have loved
stays with us forever in mind and heart
our memories are but moments
just moments in time
hold them dear
and life is sublime
somewhere the sun is shining
the clouds not in sight
laughter can be heard
and the outlook is bright
if you love yourself
the sky will always be blue
come what may
you’ll know what to do – Steve Schappert
You’ve got a way, may a million dreams of love surround you everywhere and guide you to the life you love.
Now it’s your turn, tell us what you love! Leave a comment below.
- What is love? Five theories on the greatest emotion of all (guardian.co.uk)
- Science VS Happily Ever After (sisley43.wordpress.com)
- In which I could possibly make a fool of myself. (industryandconversation.wordpress.com)
- When You’re The One Who Loves Less (thoughtcatalog.com)
- Delayed gratification: Test of true love (todayonline.com)
- Who is your favorite person? (laurieanichols.wordpress.com)
- What is Love? (boutinys.wordpress.com)
- Love Poems & Quotes- Part 1 (pamhsc.wordpress.com)